Monday, June 05, 2006

so long...

ok. as i started typing this post i was going to say something along these lines "i don't watch much tv but..." and i realized i used that line a few weeks ago and it's possible that i have a tv problem or at least like tv a lot more than i like to admit.

anyway, i for the last 4 years have a loved a little family drama on the wb called "everwood." sure it's a little cheesy and soap opera-esque but i love it, it makes me cry, it's poetic and now IT'S GONE. thanks to that stupid wb / upn merger "everwood" is gone. and you know what is taking it's free slot - a stupid little show called "7th heaven" that died a few weeks ago but they've (the big stupid guys) decided to bring it back. seriously..."7th heaven" is a horrible show.
sorry for the ramblings. tonight was the "everwood" series finale and i'm a little sad.

goodbye amy and ephram.

ok so now i'm coming back to the non-fiction world...here are my sad little curtains. the photo on the bottom is a close-up of the material. the material is really the reason i made them. i saw it awhile back when i was making more bags and hanging out at hancock fabrics a lot and i really liked it. but i've learned something about material - just because you like it and have grand plans for it, generally the grand plans never happen and you have a ton of fabric. anyway, i went to the store a few weeks ago and it was on sale. it reminds me of a shirt my grandpa would wear - sort of retro cowboy.

and lastly you might remember my church post from last week. well on thursday when we had our small group our pastor taught more about lectio and what it is, how to do it and what you can expect or should expect out of it. and it was very helpful. anyway, he mentioned that if you have a response from it, it is always helpful to talk to someone about it or journal or blog. so i mentioned to him that i had blogged about it and would like his reponse. i sent him the text (minus the link and comment about babies and hardwood floors) and he responded with some encouraging words. anyway, re-reading my comments along with his was actually very helpful and this is what i discovered.

  • I realized that I was looking for something "hyper" spiritual to come out of the exercise. My guess is this can be blamed on my Baptist quiet times - where my whole spiritual existence was based on spending X number of minutes a day with the Bible and prayer.
  • Also, the Psalm we were reading was pretty lovey dovey and by nature I am not one to be over sappy and full of praise. Praise to me is a much more quiet expression. I think it was just hard for me to relate to.
  • And probably the most important thing I realized, I think that the root of all of these feelings is not that I think that the scripture is completely untrustable but probably that I'm just unhappy with God. And maybe I'm just trying to blame my issue on something that is a little easier to deal with. The last five years have been pretty rough spiritually and I think I'm just coming to terms with that - and I feel as if I need to trust and believe in God or stop trying because the middle sucks.

So yeah, I don't know what to do with that but I do feel a little better about things.

happy 6/6/06.



3 comments:

Wis said...

I'm sure some other crappy drama will come along and you'll forget all about Everwood.

I like your curtains. Good job.

I'm glad to hear you are having some progress/realizations with god stuff.
Right on about your praise comment.
On your last point, I did not realize until some of these recent posts that you were such an “all or nothing” kind of gal. Sometimes the middle is all you have and that doesn’t have to be a terrible thing.

Going back to what you said on my blog about housewives/babies. At our age, the baby resistant, other stuff oriented wives (like us) are a dying breed. This is especially true in the church. I certainly empathize; I know it would be nice to be able to relate more with other women and the stay at home/kids thing has a tendency to jack that up. I’m sure there are other less obvious commonalities that will surface.

This concludes Mel’s poop ridden advice and mom comments session.

As much as I dig this whole blog thing, yes, we are due for a phone call.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to stand up for the moms-that-dont-stay-home-or-drag-their-kids-to-inappropriate-places-or-only-talk-about-mom-crap population. Being a mom doesn't mean that you aren't able to have a life or be active/interested in other stuff. I work full time, don't stay home, I ask just as random of questions as anyone, and I like to think about non child-related subjects....and I got hit on the other day, so not everyone has a non MILF attitute. ha.

pondering_c said...

alida - you are definitely one of my favorite moms.