Friday, June 23, 2006

The countdown has begun...

Literally, this week has lasted forever. 40 long boring hours in a tan/blue cubicle are finally coming to an end is approximately 88 minutes. Please hurry.

I don’t have much going on this weekend. Actually I currently have nothing planned. I have some ideas of ways to entertain myself but no where to be at a certain time. I will be in my bed until about 10am tomorrow morning though – I have planned that much.

I will also be watching some DVDs. A couple of weeks ago I signed up for NetFlix (again). You see I had two reasons. One, E is traveling a lot right now so I figured having some entertainment other than the 10 channels on my TV would be a good thing. Second, Sex and the City. The local UPN channel has been showing SATC at 10:00pm for about the last six months and I’ve become quite the fan. Two problems have arisen out of my addiction. One, they also aired them at midnight so I only saw every other episode – leaving out very important elements. Two, they recently moved the airtime to midnight and 12:30 so I never see any of them. Stink. So in order to find out what the real story is on Carrie and Mr. Big I needed to watch them all – straight through. Hence, my need for Netflix. I’ve also been watching the first season of Grey’s Anatomy. Somehow over the last few months I’ve become a TV addict and now I’m becoming a TV/DVD addict.

But tonight I think I will watch Born into Brothels – see I’m also trying to be a little educated and cultural.

Speaking of TV, last night I couldn’t sleep and watched the late night re-run of Oprah. The show was about identical female twins where one of the twins had decided to become a male. In both stories that I saw each of the women who became men spent all of their life feeling like they were the wrong gender. It was interesting because the stories brought up the discussion about homosexuality being a genetic issue. In this case these are identical twins with identical DNA. Therefore, the idea that one would be gay and not the other creates a kink in the idea that being gay comes down to a genetic issue. It was really interesting to me. Not because I think one way or the other – but that it just creates more questions. An expert explained that it is possible for these twins to be identical in genetic make-up but for their development in the womb to be different. For example, one fetus might get more blood flow, more nutrients or exposed to something that the other isn’t. So it is possible for their environment in the womb to create differences in them.

Which seems kind of weird but I have a story that made me see some logic in this thought. When I was a baby, my baby teeth had no enamel. Therefore, I had lots of cavities early on and had to have dental work done when I was two. I told a dentist about this once and she said stuff like that is not uncommon. She said that often if a mother is sick or has a stressful time during pregnancy it can effect the baby’s development.

I don’t really know what all this means but it creates more unknown in an area that people often think is very black and white.

67 minutes...

No comments: