Monday, June 26, 2006

Mondays...errr...

What's the last movie you saw and what did you think?

I actually saw two movies this weekend so I will mention both.

Born into Brothels - I really enjoyed this academy award winning documentary about children in the red light district in Calcutta. Basically a photojournalist lives in the district and gives the children cameras and teaches them about photography. It chronicles their photography and their struggles to get out of the district. Two things struck me. One, these kids at their young age knew that the path they were on would be bad in the end. They didn't want to live the life their parents lived and knew the way out was an education. But the class system limited their options. It was just interesting to me that despite their limited view of the world - only knowing poverty and filth - they knew that there was more. Second, I was moved by their teacher (Zana) who was willing to give so much of herself and her resources to help these kids. She wasn't with an organization, she wasn't promoting an agenda - she just wanted to teach them and offer them something to be proud of. She was very inspiring to me.

The Prarie Home Companion - Honestly, I went into this movie with no expectations. I've always heard of Garrison Keilor and the Prarie Home Companion and I have a friend who is a big fan. So I thought I should check it out. Yeah, it was ok. Maybe a little more background info would have been helpful. The cowboys (Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly) were really funny. And I've recently discovered that I really like Meryl Streep - I realize she is sort of a legend and all but I loved her in this movie. Lindsay, well she just annoys me. I do find the culture and attitude of that region - Midwest - Minnesota is that the Midwest? - to be very interesting. They are just odd - I think it's the neverending cold.

2 comments:

a183 said...

I rented Hoodwinked last night - animated. Not nearly as intelligent as your choices. Awesome though. I recommend it. It's little red riding hood but you get everyone's perspective as they are interrogated by the police. Frogs are smart.

Anonymous said...

I saw Match Point this weekend. Aside from the sad morals of the people in the movie, it did have an interesting ending. More than anything, it made me want to go to London.