Thursday, June 08, 2006

the countdown...

Many of you know and if you don’t - I work at a state agency of sorts. We are state mandated agency and are funded through the state. Well if you haven’t heard the Oklahoma Legislature hasn’t been able to agree on a budget and have entered into special session. The new fiscal year starts on July 1 and if they don’t agree on a budget by then – nobody has any money. Not my office, not the department of corrections and anyone else who gets money from the state. And with no money these agencies can’t run and therefore close their doors until the budget is passed (surely the prisons don’t close their doors – wonder what they do). Anyway, I’ve been told we will be furloughed if this happens.

And the funny thing is that it’s because of extra money. The state’s revenues were greater this year than ever and they can’t decide how to spend it. And most importantly, it’s an election year so all the state political players have some sort of demented motivation. My boss compared the legislature to junior high.

People keep telling me that it won’t happen but that there is a remote possibility. I’m not really freaked out yet. But I am a little caught up in the drama. So I’ve created my own countdown of "Days Until Shutdown of the State Government" (thanks to the Tulsa World for the idea).




I wanted something that was bit more dramatic instead of an orange vw and I couldn't find anything. So if you know of a dramatic countdown clock to add to my blog - let me know.

1 comment:

Wis said...

Oh, the days of depending on the government to supply your funding.

I don't know exactly how it works for the state (I don't remember all the exact terminology either) but on the federal side when there would be unresolved budget issues after the FY started they would go to a minimum ops month to month budget just to keep things running until that year's budget was signed. Sometimes that didn't happen until the middle of the FY. The pressure will be on so I'm sure they'll hammer out something in the last minute of course. I just can't see them actually furloughing so many employees. What a mess.

Maybe you should find a skull and cross-bones for your icon?