Saturday, July 08, 2006

movies and more movies

i really liked junebug - it was awkward and strange but i really related to it. not to the huge amount of sex the central couple had but more to the role of the son. i am very familiar with feeling like an outsider to my family and wanting to avoid being around them. but all the while being conflicted (and feeling guilty) about my relationship with them. and in the end, always stepping up and being the good daughter/granddaughter.

but i really did think it was funny - mostly because i could see family members in the characters. and i loved the church scence.

tonight at the dollar movies i learned that i love akeelah. i thought it was a nice, uplifting movie. a poor girl from LA beats the odds. i feel better about the world. was it reality? doubtful. could it ever happen? maybe.

i thought it was interesting that the principal encouraged her to participate because it could bring good press to the school which might lead to more money so they could afford basic supplies and up keep. probably a realistic commentary on inner city schools that are forgotten by the burbs.

tomorrow i'm off to wagoner,ok for a work conference. yep, wagoner. i know there's a lake and possibly a sonic. if i'm lucky there will be an old school walmart. so i will likely be mia for a couple of days.

this is my sister and nephew on the 4th. aren't they beautimous? that's a word my grandma
taught me.

1 comment:

Wis said...

I don't think I'd be up for sex every night if my new husband left me alone everyday to hang out with his family I just met. What am I saying, I wouldn't be up for sex every night regardless. The son's absense was interesting especially the guilt he puts on his wife when she actually isn't there (for once) during a time of crisis. I also loved that guy's art, it made me laugh. And that great look on the wife's face at the church as she is realizing something unexpected about her husband. The film did a good job of accurately portraying family dynamics.

I want to see Akeelah. An overcoming the odds, feel good film and it looks like it worked on you.

I have no idea where Wagoner is. I'll have to mapquest it. It doesnt' sound like fun.

I'll try giving you a call today. I have a feeling you'll be bored. Hopefully, you're cool co-workers will be around.