Wednesday, May 31, 2006

some afternoon snippets...

i don't visit www.relevantmagazine.com often but when i do i always enjoy the random news slices...here are some highlights.

Thomas Kinkade, the king of campy Christian paintings, has signed a deal with real estate developers to build homes modeled after those featured in his paintings. The homes are estimated to cost between $4 million and $6 million. We've heard that each house has a special room for Precious Moments knickknacks and Left Behind collectibles...

The Washington Times published an interesting story this weekend about a revival that is taking place in Africa. The story looks at a monthly 300,000-member service (which lasts all night) that is Nigeria’s version of the megachurch. The movement is sweeping communities, and, according to the article, “many theologians say the ‘African century’ of Christianity is under way”…

With church attendance plummeting, congregations in England are using karaoke to attract new visitors. Thanks to the new Hymnal Plus/HT-300 (we’re not making this up), amateur singers will have recorded accompaniment, easy-to-read words and a catalog of church classics. Some American churches tapped into this technology years ago with a device called an “overhead projector”…

A church for homosexuals has launched a $55,000 ad campaign that is causing a stir among traditional Christian churches in an Indiana community. Thousands of door hangers, T-shirts and stickers were distributed throughout Indianapolis, along with a newspaper ad that shows a group of Klansmen around a burning cross, comparing them to anti-gay Christians. Needless to say, a debate is raging in Indy…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I was perusing some of Brent and Mellia's friend's (possesive grammer error?) blogs. Are you a fan of the Kinkade? I guess it doesn't matter. Have you had the opportunity to see a "light show"? I was wondering if the full scale models can do the same? Kyle, knsmartdo@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I spelled Melissa's name horribly wrong. Kyle.

pondering_c said...

I am not a fan of Kinkade but I do like making fun of him. I am unfamiliar with the "light show." Please explain.

pondering_c said...

for any of you who are interested this was kyle's response to me.

Before I made fun of him, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to offend anyone. So my wife and I were vacationing the on the coast of CA. We were in a quaint little town that happened to have a Kinkade gallery. I am ashamed to say we went in. Apparently, the salesperson thought we were admirers. In retrospect she screened us, she asked if we had any of Kinkade's work. I put her on and replied we were thinking about making our first buy, but that my mother-in-law had a couple of paintings. By this time she was salivating, she looked around and quietly asked if we had ever seen a light show? (I am not exaggerating.) I had no idea what she was talking about. Again, making sure there were no other customers present, she dimmed the lights, and I kid you not, the paintings glowed. They didn't just glow, they glowed in the right places: the windows of the houses, the porch lights, the lights form the light houses, etc, etc. Apparently this is a big secret/surprise that only true Kinkadians are aware of. He uses a special mixture of paint that has luminescent properties. Thus the "light show." Again, I am ashamed to admit - it was kinda cool. I still do not own a Kinkade, and me and my wife still laugh about it to this day. So if you want a cheap thrill - play the part and get them to give you a light show. Kyle.