Tuesday, May 23, 2006

insert generic title here...

So this isn’t very timely but I wanted to give you a report on some recent activities.

Thursday I returned to the church small group. And again the babies and hardwood floors are freaking me out. I like babies and I’m glad there are people to re-populate the earth. But one lady started talking to me about her kid – I didn’t ask – she just talked for about five minutes about her kid. How the baby looked like the dad, how the baby was fat, how the mother-in-law said the baby should be talking….ahhhhhh….I was looking for an escape but I couldn’t find one.

Friday evening I got my haircut. I took in a photo of an “old” haircut; I believe it was during my last growing out phase. Anyway, it is a wee bit shorter than I was expecting. I’m sort of in shock but luckily I’m a short hair girl so I should settle in quickly. It's funny to me that I am now recycling hair styles.

I also went to dinner with Amber. We went to a new place near Quail Springs called Casablanca’s. I’ll just say this – it was very odd. It was one of those restaurants with every type of food possible. Would you like vermicelli or ribs? Lettuce wraps or pizza? I generally find those places not very trustworthy when it comes to tastiness. Too much variety. A couple of other things to note. The restaurant is owned by the Jimmy’s Egg owners (I really wanted an omelet and home fries). The salads were huge. Literally my whole blog readership could have munched on this chicken caesar salad that came with three chicken breasts. The mood lights kept going up and down. We were sitting to close to our neighbors. It was just an odd place. I give it a D.

Saturday we went to the fetish photography exhibit. Yeah, I’m not really into goth girls. This is what I gathered from that experience but it was nice to see Dirk.

Oh and I got a bathing suit. I bought a 1 piece Speedo from Academy. It is a very serious, athletic bathing suit. And it provides a serious amount of rear end coverage. It sort of has that 1950’s bathing suit look with an athletic spin. Now I just have to go to the class…

Sunday we went to the Dachshund Dash. Oh my, that was fun. For those of you unfamiliar with the Dachshund Dash (which I think is a brilliant concept, likely not original to OKC though) it is a fundraising event for Free to Live, a local non-killing shelter. Basically the event is weenie dog races at Remington Park. There is nothing funnier than a running weenie dog. Ok, maybe a group of confused, highly excited weenie dogs racing might be funnier. E and I placed some bets and well it’s embarrassing how excited we got about our win. Rufus was able to pull out a second place win after a not-so-good start. There was even a replay of the finish.

And yesterday I picked up the book for my travels that Catie recommended. I’m excited. I love going to the library but I must admit I have a problem. I’m not a huge reader but I have lots of interests and when you let me loose in the library – I check out a lot of books. Yet, I never read them all. I forget about them, get fines, pay the fines, get disgusted with myself that I don’t finish the 6 books I checked out, and then don’t go back to the library for months. I think I need to set myself a check-out limit and limit myself to one topic at a time.

I also have purchased a new yoga video. AM and PM yoga for beginners. I’ve only used it a couple of times but think I will enjoy it. And honestly, I thought I had more balance and flexibility than I do.

I’ve noticed recently that I am struggling with a wee bit of depression about this back issue. So I’m making an effort to try and stay positive about it but I find it very hard. I think the back is just a complicated thing and there aren’t any “concrete” answers. Everything is could be, or might work so I find myself feeling somewhat at the mercy of doctors and maybes. And I don’t like it. So I’m trying to take some of my owns steps – yoga, more stretching, working on my posture, reading more about the issue (2 books from library) and really trying to not get so stressed and worked up about things.

But on a positive note – I’m feeling pretty good today and I slept through the night with very little pain which hasn’t happened for a couple of weeks. So woo-hoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so wish I had taken a picture of the Casablanca salad. Which begs the question, is it socially acceptible to ask a stranger if I could take their picture for my blog? Especially a picture of their salad...

Hey you forgot other menu items: philly cheesesteak, meatloaf, and "even better than the Arts Fesitval" strawberries newport.

Wis said...

You've had quite a lot going on!

I'm sorry about your back and the emotional strain its causing. I'll keep praying for relief. It is great you are being as pro-active as you can with reading books, exercise, going to doctors, etc. When Denise and I used to work out, she always said "strong abs means a strong back." I never found out.

Good luck on your road trip. I hope you have safe travels and productive family time. Enjoy your book and bring a good back support pillow; long car rides can really jack you up.

Casablanca's sounds disguisting. The food snob has learned if the menu comes in a book or has more than two main types of food represented then you need to put the food novel down and run away (to Teds).

I empathize with your baby bible study woes. The reality of other people's life goals is all the more recognized when you are the couple that has been married the longest yet are lacking the little life forms that people find necessary to produce. Thus creating the baby chasm. But on the other hand, after being in our babyful study for several months now I have grown increasingly comfortable and the people are really cool with their own quirks and personalities. They all have depth rather than just being couples with kids. So, maybe if you give it time you'll find the same and then again maybe not. There are people whose existence is centered around the rugrats and that's all they want to talk about.
So, there's your encouragement.

The weenie dog race sounds awesome. I always thought about going but never did. I figured it would be a bunch of dachshund crazed maniacs cooing over their dogs that are bound to have back problems due to their freakishly long bodies.

But anyway, before I exceed the posting limits I better cut myself off. Enjoy the rest of your day.