In response to my post yesterday, Brent sent me a blog where the writer recently discussed his blogging and what it really means. I found it interesting and thought provoking. I won’t recite all the text but an excerpt states:
“What is it about blogs that turn us into exhibitionists?
What is it that allows us to openly and publicly discuss intimate details, dreams, goals, heartbreak and sorrow – subjects that we would, and should, normally hold close to ourselves and discuss only with a few select confidants?
Why is anonymous narcissism so compelling?
Or is it all legitimate?
Why do you do it?Why do I care?”
I was slightly rubbed by the mention of narcissism but I suppose you have to be somewhat self-focused to spend the time I do – rambling about myself. But that word just has such a horrible connotation. So in addition to my exhibitionism and narcissism, I think I blog because it’s somewhat cleansing for me. My brain is constantly gathering information, processing it and trying to figure out how to dispel it. Constantly. I analyze everything and frankly it’s exhausting. And for some reason this blog has given me an outlet to express that information and work out my thoughts…which for me is a good thing…most of the time.
Blah, blah, blah...there I go rambling about my feelings and emotions again.
Now to other things…
I stumbled onto this site through my web travels. I thought it was fun.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I haven't read much of cog but whether we blog or not we are all narcissistic to some varying degree. I think a tendency to be so personally forthright in blog is due to the fact that it is like sharing and catching up with a close friend/loved one. I mean who reads these for the most part anyway? You may have a few scragglers/blog leeches but there are so many people out there doing this stuff that there’s almost a false sense of privacy or anonymity. It’s certainly and maybe sadly much less obtrusive to read something honest, raw, uncomfortable than to be face to face in the conversation where you have to deal with the, “Wow, I have no words for that incredibly personal information you just shared” reaction. I don’t know if you feel this way but it’s as if throwing personal thoughts out there is a conversation potential. "If you want to talk about this further fine, but if not, oh well, I said it this is how I feel."
Matt is awesome. Life works out in interesting ways. I saw his story on Inside Edition (yes, I still watch it) a few months back. I hadn't actually visited his site though so thanks for the link.
Post a Comment