Thursday, February 07, 2008

just some thoughts...random thoughts...

i've really been thinking a lot about politics lately...mostly because i've been knee deep in it due to the election and my stint at the house.  so i've come to the realization that i'm no longer a conservative and have some pretty ill feelings toward the conservative republicans out there.  mostly because i don't understand them (especially the christian ones), why they feel the way they do about healthcare, social services and putting all their eggs in the abortion basket.  i recognize they are generally good people but struggle with those who are different.  

anyway, i've been ranting a lot lately to friends and trying to come to terms with my ideals about some things...and i've come to no resolution and expect i never will.  but i read this editorial in the gazette and it helped me see some of the differences between us folks. 

it's interesting because i see a similar difference between my sister (who is eight years younger) and myself.  i was the child that got the "i had to work hard for what i have and you will too" work ethic.  whereas my sister got the "i had to work hard and didn't have much so i want you to have it better than me."  and i truly believe that these lessons have made us who we are...both good and bad.  but seeing those differences in rearing makes me understand her personality and approach to things a little clearer. 

i'm not completely sure what that means because i'm still a little bitter that she got a convertible honda del sol in high school and i had a buick skyhawk. but i'm trying to work on that. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that Gazette editorial, too. Very interesting thoughts indeed.

I'm totally with you about becoming more lefty. My thinking used to be "I work hard, so should everyone else" but as I've gotten older (and been humbled) now I think "Everyone needs help sometimes."

However, I DO still believe there are people who exploit that help and never take responsibility. Where to draw the line? And that's where I get unsure...