Friday, October 05, 2007

some seriously bad luck...

someone asked me today if i've ever been let go from a job before. i think she asked me this to see if i had any experience coping with this sort of drama. and unfortunately i have...too many times. i think i have problem...it's called some seriously bad job luck.

here's a brief history of my job experience, dating back to 1991.

Beachler's IGA - Worked there all through high school. Unfortunately just as graduation occured my store was closed and I lost my plush part-time cashier job.

Spencer State Bank - First professional job thanks to all that cashier experience. Freshman year of college. Left for another bank - more money.

Union State Bank - Paid more and was closer to college. Left this position when I moved to Edmond to attend UCO.

Liberty Bank - I was working here part-time when E and I got married. I was going to school but didn't know what I wanted to do so I decided to get a full-time job. And here's where it gets interesting.

Nelson, Sherwood and Brown - Personal injury attorneys. Nice, huh. I had been there three months when I was told that Sherwood was bailing out and the firm would be closing. I had two weeks.

Clemons, Pate, LeBron and Wolfe - Hell disguised as a personal injury law firm. Mean horrible people, especially the Wolfe part. I hated it but needed a job. And I hated it and I'm sure it showed. After six months I was told to clean the library and then promptly fired in the said library.

PEC - A small family business that hired me because I faxed my resume from a church (or at least that was a huge selling point for me). Crazy family but I learned a lot there. And they let me work part-time while I finished my degree. After three and a half years was let go because they needed to cut costs. Ah...costs. So thanks to some friendly advice and encourgement from a co-worker I was on unemployment for quite some time.

E+A - Good job, good ending. The first good in a long run of bad endings.

OSRHE - Annoying job, good ending. Somehow doesn't seem so bad now (that doesn't mean I want to go back!).

GW whatever those crappy people call their crappy company - let go because of some lame reason.

Ok, so do you see this...I have had just as many bad endings to jobs as good. I think I need something - counseling, career advice, prayer...and wow I've had a lot of jobs. When my mother implied I was a job hopper...I think she was right.

But really I'm doing pretty good with everything. I've told my mother. She was nicer than expected (the job hopper comment was a month or so back) but I'm anticipating she will save her negativity until the holidays. I've picked up a temporary graphic design job for next week. A plumbing materials catalog...exciting huh? I figure it's some good practice, a little material to add to my list of work experience and some cash on top of my "getting paid to not work" cash that will help us get through the next few months until I figure out what I want to do.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I have some lovely kind friends.

Happy weekending.

1 comment:

Wis said...

Sorry to hear the news but from the last time we talked those owners sounded like wierdos. You're talented and I know something better will come along.