the festival was great. an experience that left me somewhere between "oh my gosh it's so hot and dirty and i never, ever want to do this again" and "this is one of the best experiences ever, i want to do it every year" - it was hot, humid and crowded but there is just something surreal about getting into a great band with about 60,000 other sweaty people.
austin is really just a unique city in itself...it's this weird hotbed of liberals in the middle of texas. bizarre really. everyone was very well behaved. there were very few cops. i saw multiple people smoking pot. a few gay folks.
it was a good time and i hope we go back next year. e posted a blog about our experience on myspace and i thought i would share it. and i barely proof my own stuff so i'm not even going to try and proof his...sorry.
____________
The White Stripes missed a HOT party...
I am back from ACL, and boy are my arms tired. No really, they are kind of sore from holding them over my head and clapping for bands... (bands at festivals love to make you clap over your head... I learned this the hard way.)
So, i had a Great time at ACL, even though the White stips didn't make it. That dog-gone Meg had to go and have a nervous breakdown or something.
I saw a lot of great bands, not so great bands, and mediocore bands. I ate a lot of organic junk food, drank more water than anyone should in Three days... and I only pisssed once a day... Odd... Let me just say this, Hot + no shade = no pissing out your water.
I also saw some strange things like Mary J (not the black singer chick),you know a blunt, or doobie, or weed. I saw a lot of girl on girl make out, a little boy brokeback action, a girl with armpit hair selling some great organic root beer. A lot of cleavage, a lot of over dressed, under dressed, and oddly dressed people. It was a good time.
Being at a festival is like having an ipod for live bands. If someting isn't grabbing you hen you can just flip on over to another stage.
This is how my three days breaks down in partial and full sets of music:
Friday: starting at 12:30 ish
The Gospel Silvertones (Fun Gospel band)
Pete Yorn (Full Set - Great show. A fire was going on about 100 away
Blonde Redhead (odd band)
Crowded House (Most of their set)
LCD Soundsystem (GREAT band. Didn't know them. Now, I am fan!)
M.I.A (chick rap - thumbs down)
Spoon (good tunes - boring live)
Queens of the stone age ( great band - a lot of fun!)
Kaiser cheifs (brit punk band --- OK)
Gotan Project - (very strange french music)
Bjork (odd lady - kind of boring)
Killers (just kind of boring)
Saturday starting at 1:30 ish
the sippy cups (is austin Kiddie limits - kid band complete with juggler)
Augustana - (Great live band! too short of set played a lot of new tunes)
cold war kids
blue october
Butch Walker and the let's go out tonights (Great stuff! one of the best of the fest!)
Clap your hands say yeah
indigo girls
MUSE (AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Sunday starting around 4pm
Bloc Party (good live band from UK)
Regina Spektor (oddly annoying she is a GILP "girl I'd like to punch"
wilco
My morning Jacket
The Decemberists (good live band!)
Bob Dylan (horrible horrible horrible... I am still not sure what he was saying and why over 65,000 people were there watching him talk like scooby Doos and Luie armstrong's love child)
So anyway, I had a great time.
________________
we didn't take a ton of pictures but here's a sampling...









well that's enough of that. my tired soul needs some sleep. if you're lucky i'll be back this weekend to re-cap our annual pilgrimage to the great state fair of oklahoma (i still sing that song in my head) and why i urgently think my boss is crazy.
happy weekending.
p.s. i'm going to make an effort to start the photoblog again...thanks for the harassment everyone.

1 comment:
Thanks for sharing about your trip.
Post a Comment